Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Dance

I left early Saturday morning, to stay in the dorm of my old school, AGAIN. This will be the last time for a while. I went up there for the Valentines dance.

Here's my opinion on dances. Mind you, I have only gone to dances from this same school, so this is basically only about those dances, because I don't know what other dances are like, what is similar and what is different from other schools' dances.

  1. The music is generally bad. Usually, they just play popular hip hop songs changed to have a dance beat in the background. At the dance, the DJ played Justin Beiber. Yeah, my supposed look-alike. It was funny though, because as soon as it came on, half the guys left the gym, only to reenter when the song was over. 
  2. To put it bluntly, most dance moves look stupid to me. I stood up on the balcony that overlooked the whole dance floor and just watched, and people were either just jumping up and down, or just flailing their bodies around. I tried to think, if everyone is doing it, it can't look too stupid. When I tried it myself however, I felt too stupid to continue. I dunno.
  3. The thing I like most about dances is the handkerchief game. It has no name, so I'm just going to call it the handkerchief game. It is a game that has been played since my first dance freshman year, and I don't know how long before that. Basically, someone brings a handkerchief into the dance, and puts in in his back pocket, half hanging out. That person proceeds to run around the dance floor, doing whatever we can to avoid the other players. The other players try and find this person among the other dancers, and then steal the handkerchief. If successful, that person puts it in their pocket, and runs away. It's basically tag. With a handkerchief. No matter how boring this game sounds, it IS fun.
  4. To get into the dance, it cost's $4.00 if you are single, and $6.00 for a couple (Three per person in the couple). While this is a good deal, the male person of the relationship ends up paying for the girl, so it isn't a very good deal for the guys. Also, people would pair up on the way to the dance just to get in cheaper. They should just have one solid price. I dunno.
  5. Good things: The Handkerchief game; when the dance was over, the freshman had to clean up; and free candy!
One funny story from the dance. One of my friends from Korea (not important) sneakily-snuck* his laptop into the dance by putting it in the back of his shirt. He then sat in the corner and played Minecraft until he got caught. I admire his love for the game.

I am still getting to your tag Lex, just be patient!

*Sneakily-Snuck is a phrase I made up a while ago. I like it a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Dances are meant to be that way. Expensive, a waste of money, and a place to make a fool of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I wrote this earlier, but I was logged into a different google account, and since it couldn’t post, it just deleted the whole thing. So here I go again.

    In my personal opinion, this was possibly the best and worst dance I have had at this school so far. I have some reasoning behind both of those.

    Best: For starters, I’m an upperclassman now. I feel no more worries about looking stupid, because the majority of people are underclassmen, who I personally couldn’t care less of their opinions, and if any of the seniors at this point decide to change their opinions of me, I realize I also don’t care. My slowdance ratio of girls I like to girls I don’t like improved SO MUCH this year. I was only alone for one dance, and I only slowdanced with one girl that I didn’t really want to. I improved greatly at the handkerchief game, and actually had it for periods of time.

    Worst: Music was, as mentioned, terrible. Remixes upon remixes. Almost every song had the same beat. Though this doesn’t affect me greatly, since I don’t actually go to dances to dance, better music would have improved a lot. Also, at previous dances I have attended, there was a MASSIVE amount of candy. This one had bag full of fun size candy bars, which all got taken and hidden early on. Someone turned on the lights on the mezzanine, which completely destroyed the fun of the strobe lights, and basically all the lights set up. But mainly the strobe light. And am I wrong in thinking there are way too many freshmen?

    This basically sums up the dance for me. I may have missed something, but this covers the most important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha my favorite part was "Good things: when the dance was over.."
    I can't count how many times I've thought the same thing. However, that's to be expected from me. I didn't even go to prom. I couldn't think of a good enough reason to expose myself to that awfulness for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete