Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Scarlet Letter. Contains Spoilers. Ha.


Whoa, So I guess I totally forgot how hard this is to blog every day. Don't panic, I've got this under control. I'll write one today, and it'll be good. Hopefully.


I didn't really miss that much since Thursday, because weekends don't count right? Right.


Wow Thursday, you're spelled wrong unless you're capitalized? How boastful of you. Of course, I would have capitalized you anyway, it makes you look much better.


Alright in my last blog, I updated you on my schooling situation. I bet that was SO interesting for you to read. I bet when you read it, you could hardly stay in your chair from pure fascination and hilarity. 


I was going to talk about one thing, but I have to wait to talk about that, because I'm not exactly sure what to say and what not to. I have to talk to someone about that. 


In school right now, I am reading The Scarlet Letter. This book is written in a old style, using a vocabulary I don't always understand. Let me show you.


          "Certainly there was no physical defect. By its perfect shape,  its vigor, and its natural dexterity in the use of all its untried limbs, the infant was worthy to have been brought forth in Eden; worthy to have been left there, to be a plaything of the angels, after the world's first parents were driven out."


I didn't exactly pick out the most difficult part, I just typed where I am now, but from that you can see how the book is written. I CAN understand it, it just takes me at least twice as long to read it, because often I have to stop, reread, and think about what a certain passage actually means. This is why reading it can be kind of frustrating at times. 


I went into this story thinking that the 'scarlet letter' the book is named after was a reddish colored envelope with a letter inside that causes a large drama among dress-to-bed wearing Victorian women and their top-hatted, cane-toting husbands. I thought it would be a Jane Austin story honestly. I am quite relieved that it is not what I imagined, but the adulterous "romance" is still not something I can handle comfortably.  


Wow, I am pretty proud of that paragraph. 


I'm just going to keep talking about this book. Continue reading if you like, but this will probably contain spoilers. Am I still supposed to warn the reader about spoilers for a book that was written in 1850? I'll just do it to be safe.


First off, in the copy of the book I have, the story doesn't actually start until page 49! Before that is some super long "Introduction to the Custom-house." It's so long that it's actually illustrated. 


After a quick google search, I found out what a custom-house is.
          "A custom house or customs house was a building housing the offices for the government officials who processed the paperwork for the import and export of goods into and out of a country. Customs officials also collected customs duty on imported goods."


Um. I'm not sure why this 'Introduction' is here. Maybe if I read it I would find out, but I'm not prepared to read fifty pages about a building where paperwork is done. By Government officials no less. 


So after I page furiously to the start of the story, I read the first line.
          "A throng of bearded men-" Oooh, beards. "In sad-colored garments and grey, steeple crowned hats-" Gnomes? Is this book about Gnomes? COOL!


I soon found to my great disappointment, that it's not about Gnomes, but only plain Human Beings. In never actually says specifically that they are humans, but I'm on page 100, and there are no mentions of magic powers yet, so I'm just going to assume.  


Basically, there is this woman, the main character, named Herman? Ah, no, it's Hester. Hester was married to an older man. This older man and she were planning on moving to America. Boston to be exact. He had to stay behind, to do SOMETHING, It never says (Which I am actually quite curious about), so he sends Hester ahead of him to go settle and get ready for his arrival. 


During this time, she commits adultery with I think the Minister ( :O ), and has a baby. This was a BIG deal for the people of that time, and they threw her to the alligators. Oh, after double checking, I guess they just put her in jail. She was also forced to wear a Golden 'A' on her chest for Adulterer. She apparently used her super advanced needlework skills to make the A really fancy with scarlet thread. THIS IS WHAT THE TITLE REFERS TO. The Scarlet colored 'A' on her chest. 


Basically after she was released from jail and tossed to the alligators- wait, double check... Ok, there were no alligators in the story. So far...


Basically after she was released from jail she was still forced to wear the letter for the rest of her life. This labeled her to the people as a massive sinner, and they wouldn't have anything to do with her. She didn't have to stay in town though, so she could have just ran far enough that nobody knew her, taken off the letter, and been fine for the rest of her life (Unless she did it again. Tsk.). But actually, she decides to stay there. WHAT?! 


It's not like she was waiting for her husband either, because he had gotten there a long time ago. He no longer wanted anything to do with her, but he went on a lifelong mission to find out who she committed adultery with and "get revenge." I'm kind of excited to see what happens there. 


What she did was go live in an old hut on the edge of town, sewing for people. Because no matter how much they wanted to avoid her, her needlework was amazing, and you know that there is no way in the world a 17th century woman could resist needlework. 


Now I'm at the part where they talk about the baby. Grown up. Her name is pearl or something. And apparently she is PERFECT.


I liked "reviewing" this book. I'll probably do more of these! Haha. Leave a comment telling me what you thought of this, should I continue the scarlet letter? Do more books/games/movies?


Bye!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa. I'm sorry, do I know you? You kind of remind me of this guy who used to blog once long ago……….


    Are you actually going to stay this time or will you leave your blog again just when it needs you the most??!!!


    Okay. I'll stop being dramatic now. The Scarlet Letter. I'm not going to lie, I didn't get past chapter 7. I spark noted the rest. Yea. BAD AP ENGLISH STUDENT. Oh well. I hate Pearl. She is a creep monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah I'm going to stay. For sure. At least I hope. With the way my schooling is right now, it is much easier to write a blog.

    Also.... I kind of spark noted this. But only after reading it in the book first. Just because I didn't fully understand it while reading it in the book, so a quick summary did me good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to revise my comments. I didn't realize I hated it until after it was posted. Anyway, we were supposed to read it in American Literature at "Ye Olde School," but I don't think I read past the first chapter.

    ReplyDelete